Julian 41 ans

Likes reçus
    Hi !

I'm applying for a videographer / filmmaker job. I am currently a TV technician in France and I want to embrace a creative career, I am already filming and editing short videos. I would like to make it my job and on this occasion I found a volunteering in a ranch in British Columbia that offers many outdoor activities.

Their proposal is oriented in the direction of personal development, they have an interesting discourse and a strong philosophy around this topic. At the same time, they allow their volunteers to learn more about their lifestyle and the wildlife in the wilderness.

Note that in addition to the resume and cover letter, the application is accompanied by a complete file of 18 pages dealing with our approach and that we must fulfill.

The job advertisement :

_ Adventure Videographer/ Documentary Filmer: We are looking for a motivated and adventurous videographer, who works independently and goal orientated. Horsemanship skills or wilderness experience an advantage but not necessarily – we can teach. The internship position is unpaid with an option of generating your own income; free room and board. Other benefits are meeting and connection to interesting, successful, self-made people from all around the world. Tasks of this position include editing/ post processing and video shooting while joining all kind of guests trips into our 5 Star wilderness. Next to that, we would also want you to do at least one long term documentary (about 2-3 months) about one of our other interns. For a previous documentary example have a look at this. The position is available between May-September (our main season). You need to bring your own video equipment. A small steady-cam would be an asset.
    I would like the opinion of others to have an outside look of my cover letter and possibly correct any mistakes or blunders.

Here is my cover letter :

I would like to propose my candidacy for the position of videographer offered by the Chilcotin Holidays ranch. I learned about this opportunity via the helpx.net website while I was looking to find a volunteering experience in a Canadian ranch. After an attentive reading of your blog : wildernessjobs.ca, and also your commercial website, I felt that this place is perfect for my project. I took cognizance of the mindset of the place through your texts, your visuals and videos, that reflects profesionalism and a strong and well established philosophy which correspond me. Your approach which focuses on personal development and self improving fits my will to participate in a perfectly fulfilling experience.

I am an independant video engineer since five years and I am willing to undertake a renewal in my career now, forged by my passions. As an outdoor activities enthousiast, I spend a lot of time into nature and I now want to make it my main working desk. I want a personal achievement through film making to fulfill my thirst for creation. As you can read on my resume, I have a strong technical background and I attended a one month course on writing and conception of documentaries the last year. The processes of editing, post processing and video shooting are tasks I know well and I have the right equipment. I already made some videographic works which you can see on my Vimeo page which is quoted above. Most of those works had been realized in outdoors conditions and during survival trainings.

My long term projects are really in adequation with your proposition. On one hand, I aspire to become a cameraman who can be operational in the wild nature and a documentary filmmaker strongly oriented on the topics of nature and the wilderness adventures. On the other hand, I want to realise a documentary project about the connections of humans to nature and my stay at the ranch could be a very effective contribution to this project. My approach for this film is to propose the sight of those who live these ideals and share it. My project is a journey in search of meaningful, an encounter with those who aspire to a life closer to nature, closer to their human nature. I find that this approach resonates perfectly with your request of a documentary about one of your interns mentioned on the application.

I have already some kind of experience with horses and I am accustomed to long hikes and expeditions. I also used to camp into nature and I attended various survival courses, one of them in winter conditions during one week and without any modern equipement. Those experiences could allow me to be helpful and enthusiast to assist in the large range of activities at the ranch, next to my tasks of videographer. Chilcotin Holidays seems to be the perfect place to advance my evolution in a wilderness setting, to consolidate my skills and to learn new ones in connection of my goals.

Sincerely,
    Thanks to all contributors ! Don't hesitate to correct me or if you have any question !

Julian 41 ans

Likes reçus
    Nobody to help me?

Sébastien 30 ans

Likes reçus
    I would like to propose my candidacy for the position of videographer offered by the Chilcotin Holidays ranch. I learned about this opportunity via the helpx.net website while I was looking to find a volunteering experience in a Canadian ranch. After an attentive reading of your blog : wildernessjobs.ca, and also your commercial website, I felt that this place was perfect for my project. I took cognizance of the mindset of the place through your texts, your visuals and videos, that reflects professionalism and a strong and well established philosophy which suits me. Your approach which focuses on personal development and self improving fits my will to participate in a perfectly fulfilling experience.

I am an independent video engineer for five years and I am willing to undertake a renewal in my career now, forged by my passions. As an outdoor activities enthusiast, I spend a lot of time into nature and now I want to make it my main working desk. I want a personal achievement through film making to fulfill my thirst for creation. As you can read on my resume, I have a strong technical background and I attended a one month course in writing and conception of documentaries the last year. The processes of editing, post processing and video shooting are tasks I know well and which I have the right equipment for. I already made some videographic works which you can see on my Vimeo page which is quoted above. Most of those works had been realized in outdoors conditions and during survival trainings.

My long term projects really match with your proposition. On one hand, I aspire to become a cameraman who can be operational in the wild nature and a documentary filmmaker strongly oriented on the topics of nature and the wilderness adventures. On the other hand, I want to realize a documentary project about the connections of humans to nature and my stay at the ranch could be a very effective contribution to this project. My approach for this film is to propose the sight of those who live these ideals and share it. My project is a journey in search of meaningful (??), an encounter with those who aspire to a life closer to nature, closer to their human nature. I find that this approach resonates perfectly with your request of a documentary about one of your interns mentioned on the application.

I have already some kind of experience with horses and I am accustomed to long hikes and expeditions. I also used to camp into nature and I attended various survival courses, one of them in winter conditions during one week and without any modern equipment. Those experiences could allow me to be helpful and enthusiast to assist in the large range of activities at the ranch, next to my tasks of videographer. Chilcotin Holidays seems to be the perfect place to advance my evolution in a wilderness setting, to consolidate my skills and to learn new ones in connection with my goals.

Sincerely,
    I corrected some of your mistakes, although I'm not an expert, some further review could be needed.
    But this is perfectly written, and truly shows your motivation and experiences ! There would be no problem.
    Dernière modification par Solomai ; 26/03/13 à 13:06.

isa
    isa est déconnecté
    isa

Likes reçus
    5 703
    Hey Julian,
    Je suis vraiment pas la mieux qualifiée pour te corriger, mon anglais est hésitant... Mais bon, en attendant que d'autres te répondent...

I would like to apply for the position of videographer offered by the Chilcotin Holidays ranch. I learned about this opportunity when looking for a volunteering experience in a Canadian ranch on the helpx.net website. After a close reading of your blog : wildernessjobs.ca, and your commercial website, I felt that this place is perfect for my project. Your photographs, videos and texts helped me picture the atmosphere and the philosophy of your establishment. It showed me that we share the same values.
    Your approach which focuses on personal development and self-improving fits my desire to be part of a perfectly fulfilling experience.

I have been an independent video engineer for five years and I am now ready to start afresh in my career, according to my passions. As an outdoor activities enthousiast, I spend a lot of time surrounded by nature and now, I would like to work outside every day.
    My thirst of creation will help me go through my film making projets, which will be a true personal achievement.
    As you can read on my resume, I have a strong technical background. Last year, I attended a one month course on documentary and designing. The processes of editing, post-processing and video shooting are tasks I know well, plus, I own the proper gear for it! I already produced videos that you can watch on my Vimeo page (quoted above). Most of those works had been made in outdoors conditions and during survival trainings.

My long term projects correspond perfectly to your work offer. On the one hand, I want to become an efficient cameraman in nature, and a documentary film-maker specialized in the topics of nature, adventure and wilderness. On the other hand, I want to direct a documentary film about the connexions between human beings and nature and my stay at the ranch could be a very effective way to develop this project. I want to film and share the daily life of the people who live in accordance to their ideals.
    My project is a journey in search of meaning, an encounter with those who aspire to live a life closer to nature, closer to their human nature. I find that this approach echoes perfectly with your request of a documentary about one of your interns mentioned on the application.

I already have some kind of experience riding and taking care of horses and I am used to long hikes. I am also used to camping into nature and I attended various survival races, one of them in winter conditions, during a week, and without any modern equipement. Those experiences will make me helpful in the ranch. I am thrilled by the prospect of helping you for a large range of activities at the ranch, with my tasks of videographer. Chilcotin Holidays seems to be the perfect place to achieve my dreams in a wilderness setting, to consolidate my skills and to learn new ones in harmony with my goals.

Sincerely,

Julian 41 ans

Likes reçus
    Wouh ! Thank you very very much Sébastien !

I was about to send it like this and It was full of big mistakes !
    It's incredible how you can leave such kind of errors when having the mind stuck in the work.

I just fix everything and it's now send.

Fingers crossed!

Julian 41 ans

Likes reçus
    Thank you isa !
    Could you edit your message to highlight your modifications in order to make it easier to compare ?

Sébastien 30 ans

Likes reçus
    No worries !

But as I said, I'm not bilingual (I guess you're more than I do !), and my corrections can be wrong. But it's too late, I guess ! Good luck anyways !!

isa
    isa est déconnecté
    isa

Likes reçus
    5 703
    Message de J_lian
    Thank you isa !
    Could you edit your message to highlight your modifications in order to make it easier to compare ?
    I think there are too many structural changes in the sentences to do that Good luck for the job, I hope you get it!

Julian 41 ans

Likes reçus
    You may be right isa.

It's a pity I had already send it when you answered.
    You give really good propositions to simplify my twisted mind sentences...

Thank you anyway, it can be really useful for later applications !

Sébastien 30 ans

Likes reçus
    I guess twisted mind sentences prove of your richness of mind and your creative thinking. Oh well, at least, it should... Think about that.

Julian 41 ans

Likes reçus
    Message de Solomai
    I guess twisted mind sentences prove of your richness of mind and your creative thinking. Oh well, at least, it should... Think about that.
    Yes maybe !

But I spent hours looking to express things with clear and efficient sentences as simple like this :
    Message de isa
    ... It showed me that we share the same values ....
    So, I could have mixed my complexity with some clear expressions of isa.

Well, it's done now ! I already spent to much time trying to reach perfection, I made my best so it's ok !

Julian 41 ans

Likes reçus
    So for those interested, I have already had a first favorable response!

I must say that I perfectly matches the profile, so ...

13. isa

Sébastien 30 ans

Likes reçus
    Nice, but this was sure event without corrections ! You deserved it.

I'm pleased that I could help !