Julie

Likes reçus
    5 196
    It's just a way for us to speak in english

Do you watch english or french speaking TV channels ? Which one are good ?

When you watch a movie, do you watch it in french ? In english ? With french subtitles ? With english ones ?

What do you think ? What's the best way to improve your english ?

And... when you read what's written on your cereals pack or on a recipe, do you read the french or the english version ?

Delphine 43 ans

Likes reçus
    I watch very few things on tv here. Sometimes TV5 French JT, Les experts en VF at 7' when I cooke and the rest of the time series in VO and for the films It depends. I really prefer watching them in VO but not my boyfriend, so it depends if the movie seems really good or not. And when we can we add subtitles but most of the time, we do without it.

Pierre 40 ans

Likes reçus
    Hello

We try to watch tv just in english here, but it's difficult to understand all.
    There is a lot of advertising and it's boring.

The big problem is that there is no "jingle" before and after the advertising, so you must be concentrate to watch the begin of episode.

We bought DVD of House MD to watch the end of our french serial.

Julie

Likes reçus
    5 196
    I totally agree with you Pierre, the fact that there's not "jingle" is irritating
    I usually watch DVDs too and I prefer the english version. A good exercise is to choose the english subtitles to learn some new words and to improve your listening and your pronunciation

Since I've been back in Toronto, I' ve been watching a lot TV5 (I didn't have the cable when I lived in France), and it's very interesting, we've watched "Des requins et des Hommes" recently, it was great !

Thomas 39 ans

Likes reçus
    I watch in english...with english subtitles!
    it's good to improve vocabulary and accent.

and french version are sometimes very (very very) bad...for example "How I Met Your Mother".

But i'm talking about dix or streaming and not tv...sorry!

Likes reçus
    I watch TV all the time... I watch the "crappiest" reality TV shows ever...

It's so entertaining ! I have the cable at home so I watch lots of reality TV shows like the one with RuPaul. Also I love to watch the Comedy Channel, I can catch the latest episodes of South Park and The Simpsons (I'm a huge fan).

I watch everything in English.

I don't mind watching commercials. I try to understand every word to enrich my vocabulary... I have to admit though that sometimes watching the same commercial for the 454345 time is so irritating so I switch to my "commercial channels" aka CNN or BBC News for ten minutes... it's a good way to wait until the end of the commercial break. I always feel guilty watching reality TV, at least my "commercial channels" take off all that guilt away... and makes me feel intelligent. ;-)

Ultimately, I think that everything on TV is good to watch from the boring commercials to the stupidest shows, if you want to improve in English (for those who watch "My New BFF" know what I'm talking about..."TTYN" lol).

Damien 38 ans

Likes reçus
    i watch english and french movies... That's why i love montreal

Khalifa 39 ans

Likes reçus
    Message de Damien69
    i watch english and french movies... That's why i love montreal
    Me too Especially TV shows!! I'm a fan of 24 and Jack Bauer!!

Matthieu 41 ans

Likes reçus
    Well, at first i used to watch tvshows with french subtitles, then i started using english subtitles, and i eventually watch it now without any subs. No doubt it s a great way to improve your listening skill and vocabulary.
    Still in France, so i grab tvshows/movies on some websites, but when i hear you talking about all the commercials breaks through the shows, makes me think i ll probably continue to catch my favorites tvshows on the internet, can't be arsed having ten splits...

Julie

Likes reçus
    5 196
    pvtistes seem to speak english fluenty ! Sweet

French people are known to speak english like a spanish cow (a little of frenglish ), we're going to prove people are wrong about us !

Julien 41 ans

Likes reçus
    Since I've been in Canada, I can't really stand watching TV shows or films which are played in English, in French anymore:naze:.
    It seems like another world to me!
    I usually watch them (in English) with English subtitles, because I have to say that some accents are hard to catch sometimes (Texas, Louisiana, parts of the UK).
    I think once you got used to a TV show, even though you keep watching them with subtitles, you no longer read.
    You get used to the characters’ voices and vocabulary.

Watching the same movie in its original version is like watching a different version of it! It makes more sense, it's more intense!

Any exposure to English will make you better, of course talking comes first, but listening, reading and watching is a complement to your improvements!

Keep it up!

Likes reçus
    Most of the time i try to find originals voices concerning tv series, or movies ^^
    So in english for american's tv series, like Heroes, how i met your mother or the big bang theory, without or with subtitles it depends...
    and in Japanese for anime series

Fabien 40 ans

Likes reçus
    I usually watch TV in english at home with english subtitles (it's really much easier to not be lost in my opinion )

My favourite shows are:

Two and a half men
    Bones
    House (of course )
    NCIS (depends ...)
    Heroes (but I couldn't really follow the 3rd season :naze: )

Also when I go back home after finishing my day I enjoy watching not only sports channels ... Go Canucks Go Mavericks , but also comedy series such as The Simpsons, South Park (Eric Cartman is my hero ) and a new serie totally new for me: Family Guy

Right now I am at work lol so I have to hurry to finish this post ^^

Have a good day all

Likes reçus
    If you like Family Guy, there will be a new show called "The Cleveland Show" coming on Fall 09, and it's gonna be amazing !!!

Otherwise, I prefer watching The Simpsons or King of the Hill in english, 'cause I can't understand anything in french "québécois"...

There is another show, with Bryan Crantson (Malcom's father), called Breaking Bad. It seems like Weeds but with crystal meth and it's very very crazy...
    You can watch streaming shows on surfthechannel.com if you have missed some on TV...

Otherwise, I was following and I'm following :

- American Dad
    - Breaking Bad
    - Californication
    - Dexter
    - Dirty Sexy Money (I've stopped on the 1st season)
    - Doll House
    - Family Guy
    - Fringe (1st season and I didn't like it)
    - Heroes (I've stopped at the 3rd season)
    - How I Met Your Mother (Are the Canadians really afraid of the dark ? ^^)
    - King Of The Hill
    - Lost (damn it, one 6th season more...)
    - My Name is Earl
    - Nip Tuck
    - Prison Break (aaahhh finally over)
    - South Park
    - Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles (Please FOX, continue with a 3rd season !!)
    - That's 70's Show (Did anyone see "That's 80's Show" ? If not, nevermind...)
    - The Big Bang Theory
    - The Simpsons
    - Weeds

Julie

Likes reçus
    5 196
    Prison Break's over ? Season 4 is the last one ? If so, I'll keep watching it, it's kind of boring now but if you tell me there's only a few episodes left, I'll watch them

You know what Guillaume ?? Last week, my boyfriend and I went to the movies and when the movie started, there was still a light on, we were like "what the hell??!!" and my boyfriend told me "if they don't turn the light off, I'll definitely believe that Canadians are afraid of the dark" LOL

After 5 minutes, they turned it off, it's a shame, it'd have been funny to have a proof !

Likes reçus
    Ahahahah so they really are afraid of the dark !!!

And about Prison Break, the 4th season is the finale (22 episodes), it's very condensed in the last episodes...

Likes reçus
    I am working my english thank my listening of english radios. I would like to buy the tv material in order to watch english tv. Therefore, it is no so easy. The best way stays internet. Sometimes, i read the english version of ancient titles of vocable. And i have bought a bilingual dictionnary and a grammatic methodology.
    I can give you, certainly a nice plan! You can find thank i tunes a lot of courses of the best american universities. I will give you the web adress for the next times.
    Thanks for your comprehension of my faults.

Virginie 36 ans

Likes reçus
    As far as I am concerned, I love watching TV in english. Nevermind what. It can be the News, animated movies, movies, series...but when I watch a movie in the evening, with my boyfriend, after a hard day at work, we prefer to watch it in french, so that we understand it properly, and we don't have to think too much and to be too focused. It's more for having a "relaxing time within our busy life" than a "studying time" ;-)

Likes reçus
    I don't understand all, but read this topic is a good exercice !! THANKS SO MUCH !

Sylvain

Likes reçus
    Ok I'll try to speak english on this forum for the first time, I'm not fluent.

Who has watched the new serie on CBS after The Big Bang Theory , $#*! My Dad Says ??

And what is THE new serie to watch this fall ???

Page 1 sur 4 1 2 3 ...