Likes reçus
    Message de mikeclaver
    Its like you are a celebrity overthere!!!(I am just kidding)
    It's not like .. I am !!

---------- Message ajouté à 09h48 ---------- message précédent à 09h47 ----------

Message de lallamira

It depends.. most of the time they do, but a friend told me once "If a girl is pretty, her French accent makes her sound sexier. If she's dumb and ugly, it only makes her sound more annoying."
    (I'm still trying to figure out which category I fit in)

ahahahaha !!! I hope to be on the first side !!!

2. Pvtistes.net sur les réseaux sociaux

Retrouvez tous nos réseaux sociaux (Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin etc.) sur cette page et rejoignez la communauté pvtistes afin d'être au courant des dernières actualités sur le PVT !

En savoir plus...
    Mylène 34 ans

Likes reçus
    2 218
    I think a big part of the problem is English speakers are "forced" to learn french at school and not always in a good way....
    I do french tutoring (quite a lot now, and it's quite good extra-job by the way!) and I am always amazed at what my students say about their teachers. The most of them (here in To) are not french at all! Russian, Chilian or whatever! They teach them a lot of grammar but not the culture; this french program sounds very boring.....
    So all in all the most of my canadian friends told me the way they were taught french at school was really annoying and they felt like they won't be able to understand this langage ever since the grammar is too hard..... Grammar, grammar, all the time.

As well they often laugh at Quebecquois because of French: most of the French people here say Quebecquois have a bad French compares to the REAL French from France, their accent sounds stupid.... good job guys! one more reason to be called "maudits francais"!

To finish, a joke that make me laugh all the summer and even now: the Canada had this summer a quite strong earthquake and the heart was in Quebec.
    In the newspaper Metro, they report the funnier post from twitter every day, and one of them (talking about the earthquake in Quebec) said: "Finally Qebec get separated, congratulations!!" I laughed for 10 min in the subway and all the night when I showed this to my friends. Even my Quebecquois friend found that pretty funny! (at least they do agree on some jokes!)

Likes reçus
    Message de meleo33
    To finish, a joke that make me laugh all the summer and even now: the Canada had this summer a quite strong earthquake and the heart was in Quebec.
    In the newspaper Metro, they report the funnier post from twitter every day, and one of them (talking about the earthquake in Quebec) said: "Finally Qebec get separated, congratulations!!" I laughed for 10 min in the subway and all the night when I showed this to my friends. Even my Quebecquois friend found that pretty funny! (at least they do agree on some jokes!)
    :laughing1just perfect!

Likes reçus
    That's quite interesting Marlene but I dont think that it explains why some Canadians dislike Canadians from Quebec. If it was the reason, they should dislike all French native speakers and not only those from Quebec. Besides, French people are forced to take English classes and they don't dislike English people.

Likes reçus
    Message de Chupito
    Besides, French people are forced to take English classes and they don't dislike English people.
    true, good point! (are you vulcan? )

Likes reçus
    Message de jolijuli
    Actually, it is Edmonton!
    Great !!! So funny, isn't it? once again!

32 ans

Likes reçus
    Hey there,

I've read lots of (old) messages here and all seems to come from people from France so I'd like to bring my french-canadian (from Québec) answer to your question. For me it's all a matter of language first, because language naturally defines the culture and it's like that, I think, in many other countries. It's a question of history too. Most of you might know that New France was invaded by the English in the 18th century. This has happened a long time ago and unfortunately this is still something though in school these days. So some people may grow with the feeling of being "invaded" by the English and that French must be protected. Economically, french-canadians from Quebec were a lost considered as "cheap labors" in the 20th century. This began to change in the 60s and the province started to adopt some politics to protect the language and even to become independent from the rest of canada (we had two referendums that didn't pass).

There must be other fact to know about the culture here, but I think in that general, because of the language and history, many people, in Quebec I mean, have the despise/uninterest of the english language. Unfortuately, even if we're still in canada, the provincial government began to get organise as if it was the government of it's own country. Voting laws to protect the french language and programs which are very costly. And I could understand that with this closed attitude that the government reflects, the rest of canada would see us like a pain in the butt.

But this is changing as I see. Lots and lots of young people understand the need to speak english and are more open minded to the world. I also read this article concerning the vision of French in the rest of Canada, and it is encouraging. So I think, and I hope, that more and more the province would reflect openness and the attitude toward us will change. Personaly, I don't want independance of Quebec from the rest of Canada. I'm more encline to unite.

Now sometimes I read here and there that "French-canadians have an horrible accent when they speak english" and/or that "they have an horrible french speaking". I find this very offending. First most people that speak a second language will have some accent. Most of the english canadian I met don't speak french of have also a very notable accent. Just start by learning the language before judging others on the way they speak. I think this might be on of the reason why some french-canadians pretend not to speak english and I think this happens in other countries too; which means it's probably a natural reflex associated to basic cultural proudness. Same thing for the way we speak french. It's different from France and France's french is different from other french speaking communities and it's ok like that. There is not a "best" or "genuine" way to speak it as the language and expressions change through the years even in France.

Hope this helps in answering your question,

David

32 ans

Likes reçus
    Message de woudidou
    Very interesting discussion.

I had absolutely no idea that "France" could be understood as "Quebec" for english speaking Canadians. I find it quite surprising...

And a little scary too...

Is it true that a majority of English speaking Canadians don't like the "french" ones ? Or is it just a few angry people ?
    Hey, I've never been to western Canada, so I can't tell for sure, but I honestly don't think it's a majority. Like here in Quebec, not the majority of people hate english-canadians. I think it's an easy racist judgment to do when you don't exactly know the people and you only refer to rumors or what others are saying in general about a race or community. Some people have that reflex of thinking, some don't. But I think most don't.

David

Arthur 36 ans

Likes reçus
    "Up" for this topic :-)

It's totally subjective but my (English) Canadian friends said me that they have no problem with French Canadian.

The only thing is they don't know how to react with them. It's like a neighbor. You see him, you take the same bus, you go to the same coffee shop, but you will never talk with him.

It's really sad because they love to speak French (with me) and improve their skills. In my opinion, there is a kind of ignorance between the two populations. So... each side thinks the others don't like them.

Likes reçus
    Why do all French people take the piss out of the French Canadians would be another relevant question, I think!

Rosie 24 ans

Likes reçus
    It's been said before but French Canadians have had a lot of shit going with English persons.

Honestly, I cannot say that all French Canadians are 'ashamed' to be Canadians but I've noticed people who know their history more tend to be, because of everything's that happened. Honestly, I love English and it's one of my favorite subjects at school but even though I try to be very open minded, whenever I hear English spoken in Québec (of course not all French Canadians are from here but well), I just kinda flinch and my first reaction will be to hate them a little because I feel invaded. It also feels like they're stealing every bit of culture away from us. Poutine? I come from the town that invented poutine, don't try to convince me it's better in Toronto. Hockey? Ours. 'Free' healthcare? Ours. Maple syrup? Ours.

I won't be agressive with them and if they ask for help then I'll try to do my best but I might not do it in English because I'm not confident enough, but I'll try. Maybe we just get defensive because of all of that and other Canadians think we hate them and just hate is too because of that.

As for why French Canadians are pissed by French, well...

So first, French people tend to point out our 'accent' (even though we all know they've got the accent because Napoléon thought it would make them look smarter to talk like in theatre and we never got the memo). While they may do it because they find it 'cute' or whatever, it's offensive. I went to France and was going to visit a castle and the receptionnist just refused to believe French was our first language and handed us an English flyer in the end, so that makes us angry.

Also, we're pretty defensive as explained above so when we always hear our French is not 'real French', it makes us pretty pissed too, so we think French people believe their French is better too.

There are a few other things too but really, I think the whole conflict comes from the fact we're always being looked down on.

I hope that answered some of your questions (even thougn I talked about my perspecrive a lot, I'm sorry T-T).

Page 3 sur 3 123