Likes reçus
    Hi there,

I will make a lot of mistake, but I don't care.
    I mean, I live in English spoken part of Canada, I make a lot of mistake and have a french accent.

In like 5 minutes when I spoke I heard, "Are you french?"

And I say "yes".

And after, they told me "from Montreal?".

"No, from real France, near Nice" (Canadians only knows Paris and Nice, I come from Nimes, so I say Nice!)

"Really, it's amazing. French canadians speaks really bad, they have horrible accent, and even in French, it's so awful the way they speak. But you have a really cute accent!".

That is in job.

But in my real life, when I meet some young (or no young) people, they almost all tell me they don't like at all The French Canadians.

They don't consider them as compatriots but as undesirable foreigners.

But, why?

2. Assurance Globe PVT

À la recherche d'une assurance pour votre PVT, JP ou stage ? Nous vous recommandons depuis plus de 15 ans l'assurance Globe PVT, l'assurance préférée des pvtistes. Epidémies & Covid-19 : frais médicaux, hospitalisation et assistance couverts.

En savoir plus...
    Audrey 35 ans

Likes reçus
    That's a good question..

Likes reçus
    I have a beginning of answer for a friend who told me "because they feel superior to us, that is totally wrong".

But they might be other answers, no?

Actually, canadians prefers talking with French or Americans, than French Canadians.
    It's so strange, no?
    I mean Americans also feel superior than Canadians...

Cyndy

Likes reçus
    I've never been to Quebec and I don't know many French Canadians but I've often heard that they were very proud of their culture and their language, I even read here that they don't like to be called "Canadians" but "québecois".

This may be the reason why some Canadians don't like them, they can consider that French Canadians despise them by refusing to be called "Canadians" and by being so proud of their own identity.

Catherine

Likes reçus
    Indeed, that's a good question and it's annoying to feel you have to say "French from France (Paris, Europe, you know?)" every time people ask you where you're from. Before living in Vancouver, I didn't know that Québécois were called French in the English-speaking part of Canada...

I guess it's a mutual rejection: French Canadians want to protect their language and culture and feel threatened by the vast English-speaking majority so they are sometimes very radical (and ridiculous sometimes) and English-speaking people think that those "French" are just a pain in the ass, why don't they speak French at home and speak English elsewhere since almost all of them are bilingual anyway (in Montreal at least, it's less true in other parts of Quebec) and they are a minority. About Montreal, I've heard that some people pretend not to speak English when an English-speaking customer doesn't make an effort to try to speak French (at least say Bonjour instead of Hello) and I guess it pisses them (English-speaking Canadians) off. But after spending 3 weeks in Quebec and learning a bit about the history of the country, I can understand why French Canadians are sometimes so extreme and feel the need to fight to preserve their language and culture. They're so few in this huge English-speaking country (with the even bigger USA south of the border) which is bilingual only on paper... I just hope it won't play against them in the long run.

With my colleagues last week, we were talking about that new law they were trying to vote in Quebec to oblige new immigrants' kids to attend French schools (now parents have the choice to put them in English or French schools). My colleagues thought this was completely unfair and dumb. I know they despise French Canadians and are biased but I must say I agree with them. Compel kids who go to an English school to learn French, ok, but oblige new immigrants' children to attend a French school even if they would be more comfortable with English, that might not be the best way to make integration easier for these kids.

Bilingualism in Canada... It's great for us that everything is written in English and French, even in Vancouver, but try to have service in French here... Shaw cable offers service in English and Mandarin or Cantonese but not in French and let's face it, there's something like 3000 km between Quebec and British Columbia and sometimes it feels like it's two different countries (we don't even care what's happening in Alberta, our "next door neighbour").

What's funny is that parents who sent their kids to French immersion schools are very proud to say that their children can speak French... va comprendre (sorry, couldn't find an equivalent in English)...

Likes reçus
    One time I heard in Quebec city that English Canadiens are too stupid to know 2 languages...
    There is the same problem in Belgium for example or in many other countries
    Rivality is growing up easily when regions are neighbouring, very similar, but with some distinctions

Julie 35 ans

Likes reçus
    hi there,

I have just heard in a bar, a guy told French canadians are like animals...
    but he didn't know why...

Likes reçus
    Because French canadians are not proud to be canadians!
    and it's a shame (that's what a friend of mine told me)...

Julie 36 ans

Likes reçus
    4 898
    I was told that French Canadians pretended not to speak english when english speakers talked to them because they are able to speak french AND english and they consider that English speakers should be able to speak french too...

PRÉNOM

Likes reçus
    I've never lived in Canada so i couldn't answer about this situation objectively. But honeslty i don't understand this term of "french canada" or "french canadian". They have nothing to do with us: they should be called "quebeckers" or canadian from "quebeck" and that it. It's souds like they are put apart...

Regarding this story of immigrants to send their children in french speaking school, i don't see what's unffair considering you decide to live in quebec and to immersed in this part of the country: french is the main language in quebec, you learn french. In toronto ? learn english. Why would you teach chinese to your child if obviously the futur of your child is in Canada.
    Once you master well the first, you make an "lil'effort" for the second.

French are the first blaming immigrate not to speak a good french in france (i don't think it's true): why would you expect different treatments in Canada ?

On the other hand, when i lived in the Oxfordshire-UK, i could hardly meet somebody speaking a descent english may be due to a high rate of immigration (300 000 french in London ) , so quebeckers shouldn't worry about the french language which is well taught worldwide.

Once at my desk i had a canadian family from calgary. The father had probably french ancestry (his name) but couldn't speek french BUT the child gave try: so funny ! "elle est ou la dame avec le noirs cheveux" lol
    Dernière modification par fonclea ; 17/02/10 à 17:54.

Niko 37 ans

Likes reçus
    I hava a question in mind ... Why do you all speak in english?

It seems there are only french native speaker in this discussion, isn't it?

Muriel 37 ans

Likes reçus
    10 168
    Message de fonclea
    I've never lived in Canada so i couldn't answer about this situation objectively. But honeslty i don't understand this term of "french canada" or "french canadian". They have nothing to do with us: they should be called "quebeckers" or canadian from "quebeck" and that it. It's souds like they are put apart...
    And what about all the french speakers all around Canada who are absolutely not Québécois ?!
    There is a lot of french canadien who have nothing to do with Quebec, who are from old french canadien communities. People from Quebec are just a part of the french canadians. You also have acadians (I would say the second french canadian community after the québécois), you also have a strong french canadian community in Saskatchewan for example.

And all this people definitely have something to do with us : They speak french and their ancestors were french settlers ! This a sufficient reason enough for them to be called french canadian. Especially if they have no link with Québec.

Marie 35 ans

Likes reçus
    10 049
    Message de Bateman
    I hava a question in mind ... Why do you all speak in english?

It seems there are only french native speaker in this discussion, isn't it?
    Because it's an English speaking section on the forum

Sébastien 40 ans

Likes reçus
    Posté par fonclea
    This is only a matter of history : contemporary French Canadians are the offsprings of the first French people who settled in Canada in the 17th century. For more informations, I might suggest that you read Wikipedia's Canada page, and to be precise (excuse my french..) : "Afin d'accommoder les loyalistes anglophones qui se sont réfugiés dans l'ouest de la province de Québec, cette dernière est divisée par l'Acte constitutionnel de 1791 en deux colonies distinctes, le Haut-Canada et le Bas-Canada. Le Haut-Canada correspond à l'Ontario actuel, majoritairement composé des Loyalistes de l'Empire Uni issus de la guerre d'Indépendance américaine. Le Bas-Canada correspond au Québec actuel, et on y retrouve une majorité de francophones nommés « les Canadiens français »."

Nowadays, while most of them are Québécois, as Muriel already said, others are Acadiens. There are also French speaking people in most of the Canadian provinces, such as Manitoba or Saskatchewan.
    Dernière modification par Blast ; 17/02/10 à 18:24.

PRÉNOM

Likes reçus
    Message de murielj
    And what about all the french speakers all around Canada who are absolutely not Québécois ?!
    There is a lot of french canadien who have nothing to do with Quebec, who are from old french canadien communities. People from Quebec are just a part of the french canadians. You also have acadians (I would say the second french canadian community after the québécois), you also have a strong french canadian community in Saskatchewan for example.

And all this people definitely have something to do with us : They speak french and their ancestors were french settlers ! This a sufficient reason enough for them to be called french canadian. Especially if they have no link with Québec.
    When i say they have nothing to do with us, i mean they are as different as aussi for brit' or irish.

The word "french-canadian" souds like they are not proper canadians for the english speaking ones (for me). I find this offensive.

Sébastien 40 ans

Likes reçus
    The word "french-canadian" souds like they are not proper canadians for the english speaking ones
    Hum... Have you read what murielj and I wrote on our messages about "French Canadians" ?

Anonyme
    In general, would French people suffer from the image of the French Canadians ?

do Canadians make the difference between genuine French and Quebecois or do they simply put us all together in the same basket ?

this is odd, French seems to be valued as a language on a professional point of view in English-speaking provinces

does it mean that Canadians would differenciate French as a skill from being a culture itself ?

PRÉNOM

Likes reçus
    Message de Blast
    Hum... Have you read what murielj and I wrote on our messages about "French Canadians" ?
    I did but it's not in connection with my question. I was more relying on feeling than historical facts.

I read as much as i can about geography, history and politics but my feeling is may be just a "semantic" point.

Julie 35 ans

Likes reçus
    Message de Jerry
    In general, would French people suffer from the image of the French Canadians ?

do Canadians make the difference between genuine French and Quebecois or do they simply put us all together in the same basket ?

this is odd, French seems to be valued as a language on a professional point of view in English-speaking provinces

does it mean that Canadians would differenciate French as a skill from being a culture itself ?
    YES, it is really difficult for us!

Like at work, you start speaking with some guest, and they say "UH, I love your accent, where are U from?"
    "I am french"
    At this time, they look at you and stop being nice.
    So, quickly you understand and reply "from Paris"

They immediatly restart to be nice, more than nice, and they say "oh, I thought you are from Montreal, but no. That's great, I love France, I love Paris...." and they can speak with you durin hour and hour.

So, now, when people asks "where are U from?", we immediatly reply "from Paris".

I am not at all from Paris, but it is frequently the only city they know in France.

Anonyme
    haha i don't have this problem

i'm Asian

It usually doesn't work when i say that i'm French during my trips

anyway, based on your experience at work, I'd rather say directly that I come from France than "I'm French"

Page 1 sur 3 123