Apostille certification, legalization and translation of your official documents (France)

Chapter 3: Legalization of birth certificate and other civil status documents for citizens of Canada

Published: 31-01-2018



Legalization of birth certificate and other civil status documents for citizens of Canada

Canadian WHV holders will need a birth certificate to apply for a French social insurance number. The Government of Canada offers relevant information on legalization of Canadian documents.

Where do I get a copy of my birth certificate?

Don’t ask for a copy of your birth certificate too early because it must have been issued less than three months before you submit it.
If you don’t have the original copy of your birth certificate, contact your provincial/territorial Vital Statistics office in Canada. Note that only “long form” documents are eligible for legalization—the birth certificate has to mention the names of the parents.

If your document is in English only, you must provide a translation in French using a sworn translator accredited by the Court of Appeal.
Asking for the legalization of documents

The Canadian Embassy in Paris will process the legalization of your documents. You will need to send:

  • A short letter explaining your request and including your detailed contact information in France (postal address, telephone and email) and instruction on where to return the document
  • The original long-form copy of your birth certificate (and translation, if required)
  • A photocopy of your valid Canadian passport (only the page with the picture)
  • A payment of $50.00 or the equivalent in euros

Applications are usually processed in 15 working days. For more information, read the reference page on the website of the Canadian Embassy in France.
Note that Canadians citizens who were not born in Canada must obtain their birth certificate from their country of birth. The legalization/apostille certification process will involve your birth country, not Canada. Contact relevant consular services or the embassy to learn about the requirements.
For more information about living and travelling in France for Canadian citizens, check out the information to help you prepare for a stay in France.

Chapter 3 of 14


There are no comments at the moment but feel free to add your own 🙂

Recommended articles