Everyday account with a free transaction plan and unlimited transactions for 2 years after your account is opened2.
A credit card,3 potentially with no annual fee,4 even if you have no credit history.
Free legal assistance5 for 2 years after your account is opened. This confidential phone service provides unlimited access to lawyers and notaries for reliable information about your rights and obligations.
The welcome offer for newcomers to Canada is for you if you are not yet a Desjardins member or if you have been a member for less than a year and you are:
- a permanent resident who has been living in Canada for 3 years or less or
- a temporary worker who has a work permit for more than 8 months
- age 18 or over
Complementary products and services:
Recognition of all previous driving experience when getting an auto insurance quote6.
Online international transfers of up to $5,000 per day7.
Why open an account with Desjardins?
You can apply online from your home country so it's easy to transfer your money before you leave.
Withdrawals are free8 and easy because of our extensive ATM network.
1. This offer is available upon request and is subject to change without notice at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply. Contact an advisor to confirm your eligibility for this offer.
2. The fee waiver only applies to a member's Unlimited plan for a single folio (individual or joint account).
3. Credit cards are issued and credit limits are set based on the applicant's credit risk. Contact an advisor to confirm your eligibility for this offer. Some restrictions apply.
4. Depending on the card chosen, you have 21 or 25 days from the date the monthly statement is issued to pay the full balance on your account without interest (except on cash advances). The minimum payment due is 5% of the total statement balance. This includes the balance shown on your account statement for the previous period, any interest or monthly instalments that were not paid on the due date for that period, purchases made during that period, and any cash advances from the current statement period, plus the interest charged on those cash advances. This amount will also include any other amounts due under your credit card contract. Here are some examples of applicable interest charges for a standard 30-day billing cycle. If the regular annual interest rate is 19.9% and your average daily outstanding balance is $100, you'll be charged $1.64 in interest. If it's $500, you'll be charged $8.18 in interest, and if it's $1,000, you'll be charged $16.36 in interest. If the regular annual interest rate is 10.9%, and your average daily outstanding balance is $100, you'll be charged $0.90 in interest. If it's $500, you'll be charged $4.48 in interest, and if it's $1,000, you'll be charged $8.96 in interest.
5. Certain conditions and restrictions apply. For more information, call 514-875-4137 or 1-877-435-6098 and mention that you have the Welcome Offer for Newcomers to Canada.
6. Applicable to principal drivers. In Quebec only. Certain restrictions, exclusions and limitations may apply. General insurance products are underwritten and distributed by Desjardins General Insurance Inc., provider of auto, home and business insurance.
7. Certain restrictions, exclusions and limitations may apply.
Have a valid Working Holiday Visa when you open the account or be a permanent resident living in Canada for 3 years or less or be a temporary foreign worker with a work permit valid for more than 8 months (Young Professionals or VIE permit, for example).
When you arrive in Canada, go to the office located at 1101 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, Montreal QC H3B 1H8, if you can, to complete the account opening process.
After that, your account will be managed by the caisse of your choice in Quebec or Ontario.
If you’re not planning to travel through Montreal, you can pre-open your account online, transfer your money, then finish the process at the caisse where you’re going to have your account.
Coming to study in Canada?
With Desjardins, get a bank account with a free monthly plan and unlimited free transactions. We’ll help you manage your money without the headaches.
As the largest cooperative financial institution in Canada and the leading financial institution in Quebec, Desjardins has a solid reputation. Desjardins Group ranks 4th among the Safest Banks in North America according to Global Finance, and its capital ratios and credit ratings are among the best in the industry.
Desjardins has over 7 million members and clients spanning over 290 caisses in Quebec and Ontario (Ottawa and Toronto), and gives you access to over 2,000 ATMs and nearly 1,000 service outlets.
OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT IN CANADA BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE
Our partners are available to answer any of your questions. Feel free to leave your comments.
I came across the testimony of a person who had received a loan of €28,000 from Mr DIDIER GEORGES AUGUSTE DEFONTAINE. At first I didn’t believe it for a single moment but my curiosity pushed me to try and finally I was able to obtain a loan of €20,000 which got me out of this impasse in which I was living. I was able to obtain the money loan without too much hassle and within a short period of time. Here is his email address: [email protected]
To transfer your funds from an account in your home country to the Desjardins account, the costs of this transfer are:
on issue: to be checked with the bank in your country of origin
exchange rate: check with the bank of your country of origin
upon receipt: 15 CAD by Desjardins, regardless of the amount
In order to optimize transfer costs, we strongly suggest that you
• transfer funds in Canadian dollars directly
• prefer less frequent transfers
Hello, I sent an email to [email protected] 10 days ago and I did not receive a response. I also tried the chat on this page but had no news via email. I just had a few questions before my departure (which is in a week) regarding the pre-opening of a Desjardins account. Could someone from Desjardins please contact me? Thank you in advance and good day 🙂
Very well, the opening is done quickly and the various advisers are always quick to help you when you have a doubt or a question about a procedure.
So far I’m very happy with it (account opening + fast receipt of debit and credit cards).
I received an email from Desjardins mentioning certain modifications to be made before my opening, such as the address. Only I don’t know how to access my account to finalize my request to open an account……
I would like to know how do you connect to desjardins knowing that I only have a confirmation code?????
I opened my account at Desjardins, to transfer my funds before my arrival, but impossible to make the transfer of funds, because they require an international transfer, while I was gradually transferring to my cousin’s account who is in Montreal, to save for my stay. My cousin tried to make the transfer to my Desjardins account impossible. It’s really stressful, because I’m traveling on August 15 in 1 and a few weeks, knowing we have to show the account statement at the airport.
My cousin moved to go to the agency, he called customer service. Still nothing is settled. How do I transfer my funds? It stresses me out too much. I need a solution please.
Thanks in advance
Hello Kadiatou, to transfer your money, I recommend that you look at Wise, which offers readers of pvtistes.net a first transfer free of charge, so when you arrive in Canada, the money will be in your account directly: https ://pvtistes.net/bonsplans/wise/ 🙂
Thank you for your answer and your availability. But the problem is that my money is already in Canada on my cousin’s account. He was the one who wanted to transfer my funds back to my Desjardins account. So is there a solution so that he can make the transfer to me?
Congratulations on your project in Canada and thank you for your comment!
To solve your problem, you can write to me at [email protected] or contact our team dedicated to newcomers and non-residents: [email protected] +1-514-875-4266, option 1
I strongly advise against this bank, I have not even been with them for a week and I have called customer service at least 10 times for problems, I went to the branch twice, the day I had my apartment I had to make an interrac transfer to be able to have the keys, surprise Desjardins had blocked my account.. only repeated problems, blocking of cards, account, interrac profile, I’m already fed up.. I still want to note the kindness and availability of the advisers but plan to close as soon as possible… time-consuming
Hello Amine, I contacted Hanane from Desjardins, who wishes to answer you this, in the absence of Rémy who usually responds to comments:
Hello Amine, Thank you for trusting Desjardins! We are sorry for the experience you had. Could you please write to me at this address: [email protected] so that I can help you sort everything out. A beautiful day to you! – Hanane
I saw that it was possible to pre-open your account remotely and transfer money to it. Is it then possible to make a transfer from my Desjardins account to another Desjardins account from France before my departure without having actually opened my account?
First of all, thank you for your interest in Desjardins and congratulations on your project in Canada.
You can pre-open your account at http://www.desjardins.com/open account, then you will receive your Desjardins RIB by email, then you can make your 1st international transfer, then you can finalize your account in Canada, then you can make payments or transfers to a Desjardins account in Canada.
Before finalizing the account in Canada, we recommend that you make an international transfer directly from your French account to the Canadian account of your interlocutor.
If you have other Canadian banking questions, we invite you to contact our team dedicated to newcomers and non-residents directly: [email protected] +1-514-875-4266, option 1