Everyday account with a free transaction plan and unlimited transactions for 2 years after your account is opened2.
A credit card,3 potentially with no annual fee,4 even if you have no credit history.
Free legal assistance5 for 2 years after your account is opened. This confidential phone service provides unlimited access to lawyers and notaries for reliable information about your rights and obligations.
The welcome offer for newcomers to Canada is for you if you are not yet a Desjardins member or if you have been a member for less than a year and you are:
- a permanent resident who has been living in Canada for 3 years or less or
- a temporary worker who has a work permit for more than 8 months
- age 18 or over
Complementary products and services:
Recognition of all previous driving experience when getting an auto insurance quote6.
Online international transfers of up to $5,000 per day7.
Why open an account with Desjardins?
You can apply online from your home country so it's easy to transfer your money before you leave.
Withdrawals are free8 and easy because of our extensive ATM network.
1. This offer is available upon request and is subject to change without notice at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply. Contact an advisor to confirm your eligibility for this offer.
2. The fee waiver only applies to a member's Unlimited plan for a single folio (individual or joint account).
3. Credit cards are issued and credit limits are set based on the applicant's credit risk. Contact an advisor to confirm your eligibility for this offer. Some restrictions apply.
4. Depending on the card chosen, you have 21 or 25 days from the date the monthly statement is issued to pay the full balance on your account without interest (except on cash advances). The minimum payment due is 5% of the total statement balance. This includes the balance shown on your account statement for the previous period, any interest or monthly instalments that were not paid on the due date for that period, purchases made during that period, and any cash advances from the current statement period, plus the interest charged on those cash advances. This amount will also include any other amounts due under your credit card contract. Here are some examples of applicable interest charges for a standard 30-day billing cycle. If the regular annual interest rate is 19.9% and your average daily outstanding balance is $100, you'll be charged $1.64 in interest. If it's $500, you'll be charged $8.18 in interest, and if it's $1,000, you'll be charged $16.36 in interest. If the regular annual interest rate is 10.9%, and your average daily outstanding balance is $100, you'll be charged $0.90 in interest. If it's $500, you'll be charged $4.48 in interest, and if it's $1,000, you'll be charged $8.96 in interest.
5. Certain conditions and restrictions apply. For more information, call 514-875-4137 or 1-877-435-6098 and mention that you have the Welcome Offer for Newcomers to Canada.
6. Applicable to principal drivers. In Quebec only. Certain restrictions, exclusions and limitations may apply. General insurance products are underwritten and distributed by Desjardins General Insurance Inc., provider of auto, home and business insurance.
7. Certain restrictions, exclusions and limitations may apply.
Have a valid Working Holiday Visa when you open the account or be a permanent resident living in Canada for 3 years or less or be a temporary foreign worker with a work permit valid for more than 8 months (Young Professionals or VIE permit, for example).
When you arrive in Canada, go to the office located at 1101 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, Montreal QC H3B 1H8, if you can, to complete the account opening process.
After that, your account will be managed by the caisse of your choice in Quebec or Ontario.
If you’re not planning to travel through Montreal, you can pre-open your account online, transfer your money, then finish the process at the caisse where you’re going to have your account.
Coming to study in Canada?
With Desjardins, get a bank account with a free monthly plan and unlimited free transactions. We’ll help you manage your money without the headaches.
As the largest cooperative financial institution in Canada and the leading financial institution in Quebec, Desjardins has a solid reputation. Desjardins Group ranks 4th among the Safest Banks in North America according to Global Finance, and its capital ratios and credit ratings are among the best in the industry.
Desjardins has over 7 million members and clients spanning over 290 caisses in Quebec and Ontario (Ottawa and Toronto), and gives you access to over 2,000 ATMs and nearly 1,000 service outlets.
OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT IN CANADA BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE
Our partners are available to answer any of your questions. Feel free to leave your comments.
Hello, you can make a transfer from your Algerian bank to your Canadian bank or then go through a money transfer organization like Transfermate: https://pvtistes.net/bonsplans/transfermate/, which generally offers more exchange rates interesting 🙂
We offer a very simple and free remote account opening process in 3 steps and 7 working days:
A – We invite you to consult our reference site http://www.desjardins.com/OpenOccount and to respond to the best of your knowledge to the form by filling in the mandatory fields.
B – Subsequently our team dedicated to new arrivals will take care of you and communicate with you by email (remember to check your SPAM file or spam) to finalize the opening, receive the electronic versions of your identity documents and visa and guide you through the next steps (sending the bank details, 1st transfer of funds, etc.)
C – Once in Canada, you will be able to authenticate yourself and recover your means of payment (FREE debit card = access card)
Thank you for your interest in Desjardins.
– Following your online request, you will receive an email from [email protected]
CAUTION: Do not forget to check your SPAMS box or spam.
– Respond by email to the questions asked by attaching a digitized version of your passport and your acceptance letter.
– You will then receive a Bank Identity Statement which will allow you to make your 1st transfer of funds to Canada.
If you have other Canadian banking questions, we invite you to contact our dedicated team for newcomers and non-residents directly by writing to [email protected]
I arrived in Montreal 2 days ago as a PVTiste and I would like to take advantage of this offer, however when I wish to register, I see this message there:
This request is for you if …
You have taken steps to immigrate to Canada.
Your arrival on Canadian soil is planned within 12 months.
It is NOT for you if …
You have already arrived in Canada. If so, use the form
Does this mean that I cannot take advantage of this offer now that I have set foot on Canadian soil?
When I click on the link to open an account, you ask “Provide your social insurance number (SIN).” But as a Belgian, I do not have a SIN but an NISS, a Belgian national number which allows identify a person in the Belgian social security system, is that also good?
Welcome to Canada !
You can also take advantage of this offer once there.
You should ideally go to our service point dedicated to newcomers at 1101 rue Ste Catherine Ouest, Montreal, QC, H3B 1J4.
or by writing to them at [email protected]
You will be able to benefit from the 12 months of free (and other benefits) AND the month of Globe PVT insurance offered (if you are insured by ACS) https://pvtistes.net/bon-plan-globe-pvt-desjardins-canada/
We remain at your disposal for further information
I would like to know if we can finalize the opening in Ottawa, or we would have to go through the agency in Montreal.
I would like to have details on the cards we will have with the Desjardins account. will we have a debit or credit card or both? can we have the interest rates applied on credit cards?
Thank you for your message.
You can absolutely initiate your account opening online at http://www.desjardins.com/OpenOccount.
Then afterwards you can finalize the opening of an account in our agency in Ottawa.
For more information, contact our team dedicated to newcomers: [email protected]
In addition to my answer I confirm that we offer 2 cards:
– The DEBIT card is offered free with the current account and allows you to withdraw money from ATMs, pay at merchants (but not on the Internet) and consult free access D, the Desjardins online bank.
– The CREDIT “REMISE DESJARDINS” card is offered without annual fees with an interest rate of 19.9% https://www.desjardins.com/particuliers/prets-marges-cartes-credit/cartes-credit/remises/index.jsp
As you will read, a credit card is not mandatory in Canada but highly recommended for:
– Being able to benefit from the VISA or MASTERCARD functions and therefore being able to buy online
– Being able to quickly build up a Canadian credit history, a precious sesame, which opens many doors.
Desjardins offers you credit cards with no credit history and no security deposit
GOOD TO KNOW: A credit card does not generate fees if:
– You choose a card with no annual fee (ex: Desjardins discount card)
– You set a realistic maximum limit for your credit card (ex: 500 CAD per month)
– You automate the monthly payment of your credit card by direct debit in your checking account within 3 weeks which does not generate any interest)
– You do not withdraw money from ATMs with this card
Thanks for your question.
I can confirm that the Desjardins debit and credit cards can be used in all provinces of Canada.
As you benefit from a package with unlimited transactions as PVTistes. All payments with both cards are free of charge. The only fees you may have are fees for withdrawing cash from ATMs outside Desjardins.
However, you could withdraw money free of charge in supermarkets with the Cash Back system of your debit card.
I just arrived in Canada with a pvt visa. I wanted to open an account at Desjardins, to benefit from the advantages. But I was asked for my French tax resident number, which I find very odd. I would like to know why a given phone is mandatory for opening an account when this is not the case in other banks?
Thank you for your reply
As a result of the recent obtaining of a WHP, I would land on January 22 in Toronto and then reside there until August 2018 minimum.
For this reason, I would like to benefit from your offer by opening my bank account with DESJARDINS.
However, by briefly reading this article, I seem to have understood that the only way to finalize the opening of a bank account (AFTER AN ONLINE OPENING) is to appear in person in Montreal. However, I do not intend to go to Montreal, neither on my arrival on the territory, nor during my 8 month stay.
Could you tell me if I can benefit from this offer under the conditions that are mine?
Especially if so, could you explain to me how I should proceed in my particular case?
I arrive in early February in Montreal as part of a PVT. However I will surely travel all over Canada and in particular to Vancouver (where it seems to me Desjardins is not present) is this an obstacle to opening an account with you?
In addition do you have partnerships with French banks?
How is it to transfer my French money to my new Canadian account before leaving?