Welcome offer for newcomers from National Bank of Canada
Become a client of National Bank and:
- Get up to three years without monthly fees1;
- enjoy an exclusive telephone accompaniment service 7 / 72 ;
- benefit from the possibility of a MasterCard® credit card with no credit history3-4 ;
- enjoy a pan-Canadian presence to serve you.
Ready to take advantage of the offer? Start here by opening an account:
Perfect if you are looking to:
- Open a bank account from another country
- Transfer funds before you go
- Access your money as soon as you arrive
- Save on banking fees
- Build your credit history
- Receive assistance for a smooth arrival in Canada
- Buy a car or home in Canada5.
How to take advantage of the offer:
1.Apply for a bank account online.
2.Transfer money from your foreign bank account, if you want to.
3.Once you arrive, meet with an advisor to receive your debit card.
Why you should do business with us
- Enjoy the freedom of our flexible online solutions.
- Simplify your banking with our range of innovative products and services. See our online solutions
- With 450 branches and over 3,330 automatic banking machines6 across Canada, we're available wherever you are. Find a branch
- Assistance 7 days a week.
Need help settling in? Contact our experts for advice on housing, work, visas, education or anything else you need to know.
Ready to apply for the package?
Open a bank account online at any time or meet with an advisor once you arrive in Canada.
- Be a newcomer to Canada (temporary worker, international student or permanent resident)
- Have reached 17 years of age regardless of your province of residence
- Apply to open an account during the three months before or the five years after arriving in Canada
- Not have previously benefited from the offer for newcomers to Canada
Details and conditions of the offer
Your first transfer of funds to Canada must be a bank-to-bank transfer. This means you cannot use a money transfer service. National Bank of Canada charges CAD 15 to receive funds from abroad (your bank may also charge transfer fees). After the initial transfer, you can use the service provider of your choice to make subsequent transfers.
Baseline savings of $317.16 over three years
Save a minimum of $317.16 over three years if you meet the following conditions :
- Visit a branch to open a bank account
- Sign up for our offer for newcomers
Savings of $317.16 based on:
- First year: no flat monthly fee (savings of $14.95/month for 12 months)
- Second year: flat monthly fee of $7.48 instead of $14.95 (savings of $7.47/month for 12 months)
- Third year: flat monthly fee of $11.21 instead of $14.95 (savings of $3.74/month for 12 months)
The full flat monthly fee of $14.95 will be applied to your banking package from the fourth year. To be eligible for savings, you must commit to keeping the account and package for a minimum of 36 months. You will receive no further discounts if the products are cancelled.
Maximum savings of $650.18 over three years
Save up to $650.18 over three years if you meet the following conditions:
1. Visit a branch to open a bank account
2. Sign up for our offer for newcomers
3. During the first year after signing up the offer for newcomers to Canada:
- Apply for and activate an eligible National Bank Mastercard personal credit card
- Sign up for eStatements
4. During the second and third year after signing up the offer for newcomers to Canada:
- Set up salary deposits to your National Bank account and have your pay deposited at least once a month or
- Make at least two electronic bill payments7 from your National Bank account every month.
Savings of $650.18 over three years based on:
- No flat monthly fee for our banking package for newcomers for three years ($14.95/month for 36 months)
- First order of cheques free8 ($56.98/order)
- Small safety deposit box rent-free for the first year ($55.00/year)
The full flat monthly fee of $14.95 will be applied to your banking package from the fourth year.
Note on savings
To enjoy the full savings, you must keep the products and services and carry out all required transactions for a minimum of 36 months, unless otherwise indicated. If you fail to meet the conditions of the offer, your savings will be lower. Your savings will be lower if you do not order cheques or rent a safety deposit box.
If during a given month, you keep your bank account and banking package, but do not keep all of the other products and services indicated or do not carry out all of the required transactions (e.g. only one electronic bill payment per month instead of two), you will be charged National Bank's service fee for that month.The service fee will be $7.48 monthly the second year and $11.21 the third. You will still enjoy monthly savings of $7.47 during the second year and $3.74 during the third.
Finally, if you no longer hold a bank account or banking package for newcomers, you will no longer be eligible for savings.
™ National Bank Assistance Network is a trademark of National Bank of Canada, used under licence by authorized third parties.
® Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Inc. Authorized user: National Bank.
® THE EXCHANGE is a registered trademark of Fiserv Inc.
1 Our banking offer for newcomers is available to immigrants who have been living in Canada for less than 5 years. See the Details and conditions of the offer for the full terms and conditions. The offer may be modified, extended or withdrawn, without prior notice, at any time. The offer may not be combined or used with any other National Bank offer, promotion or benefit. Fees may apply for transactions not included in the banking offer for newcomers. For more information on transaction fees, see our Guide to Personal Banking Solutions [PDF].
2 Telephone assistance service offered by National Bank Assistance Network, valid for 12 months from your account opening date. The content of the packages and terms described are subject to change.
3 Financing subject to credit approval by National Bank. Certain conditions apply. Eligible credit cards: MC1, Allure, Syncro, Platinum, ECHO Cashback, World and World Elite.
4 Security deposit may be required under certain circumstances.
5 Financing subject to credit approval by National Bank. Certain conditions apply.
6 National Bank ABMs or ABMs in THE EXCHANGEMD network.
7 Eligible electronic payments: payments made via ABMs, pre-authorized debits and digital banking solutions (including payments through National Bank online or the National Bank mobile app).
8 Shipping fees and taxes not included.