National Bank of Canada: 3 years without fees + a $50 cashback
Welcome offer for newcomers to Canada
Do you have a permanent or a temporary (work or study) visa? Are you planning to build a life in Canada? Become a National Bank of Canada client and:
- Get up to three years without monthly fees1;
- enjoy an exclusive telephone accompaniment service 7 / 72 ;
- benefit from the possibility of a MasterCard® credit card with no credit history3-4 ;
- enjoy a pan-Canadian presence to serve you.
Ready to take advantage of the offer? Start here by opening an account:
Perfect if you are looking to:
- Open a bank account from another country
- Transfer funds before you go
- Access your money as soon as you arrive
- Save on banking fees
- Build your credit history
- Receive assistance for a smooth arrival in Canada
- Buy a car or home in Canada5.
- Be a newcomer aged 17 or older
- Apply to open a National Bank account from your country or within 5 years of arriving in Canada
- Be the only user of the account
Why you should do business with us
- Enjoy the freedom of our flexible online solutions: simplify your banking with our range of innovative products and services.
See our online solutions
- Easy access anywhere in Canada: with 450 branches and over 3,330 automatic banking machines6 across Canada, we're available wherever you are.
Find a branch
- Assistance 7 days a week.Need help settling in? Contact our experts for advice on housing, work, visas, education or anything else you need to know.
Learn about the assistance service for newcomers
Ready to apply for the package?
Open a bank account online at any time or meet with an advisor once you arrive in Canada.
Details and conditions of the offer
Your first transfer of funds to Canada must be a bank-to-bank transfer. This means you cannot use a money transfer service. National Bank of Canada charges CAD 15 to receive funds from abroad (your bank may also charge transfer fees). After the initial transfer, you can use the service provider of your choice to make subsequent transfers.
Baseline savings of $317.16 over three years
Save a minimum of $317.16 over three years if you meet the following conditions :
- Visit a branch to open a bank account
- Sign up for our offer for newcomers
Savings of $317.16 based on:
- First year: no flat monthly fee (savings of $14.95/month for 12 months)
- Second year: flat monthly fee of $7.48 instead of $14.95 (savings of $7.47/month for 12 months)
- Third year: flat monthly fee of $11.21 instead of $14.95 (savings of $3.74/month for 12 months)
The full flat monthly fee of $14.95 will be applied to your banking package from the fourth year. To be eligible for savings, you must commit to keeping the account and package for a minimum of 36 months. You will receive no further discounts if the products are cancelled.
Maximum savings of $650.18 over three years
Save up to $650.18 over three years if you meet the following conditions:
1. Visit a branch to open a bank account
2. Sign up for our offer for newcomers
3. During the first year after signing up the offer for newcomers to Canada:
- Apply for and activate an eligible National Bank of Canada Mastercard personal credit card
- Sign up for eStatements
4. During the second and third year after signing up the offer for newcomers to Canada:
- Set up salary deposits to your National Bank of Canada account and have your pay deposited at least once a month or
- Make at least two electronic bill payments7 from your National Bank of Canada account every month.
Savings of $650.18 over three years based on:
- No flat monthly fee for our banking package for newcomers for three years ($14.95/month for 36 months)
- First order of cheques free8 ($56.98/order)
- Small safety deposit box rent-free for the first year ($55.00/year)
The full flat monthly fee of $14.95 will be applied to your banking package from the fourth year.
Note on savings
To enjoy the full savings, you must keep the products and services and carry out all required transactions for a minimum of 36 months, unless otherwise indicated. If you fail to meet the conditions of the offer, your savings will be lower. Your savings will be lower if you do not order cheques or rent a safety deposit box.
If during a given month, you keep your bank account and banking package, but do not keep all of the other products and services indicated or do not carry out all of the required transactions (e.g. only one electronic bill payment per month instead of two), you will be charged National Bank of Canada's service fee for that month.The service fee will be $7.48 monthly the second year and $11.21 the third. You will still enjoy monthly savings of $7.47 during the second year and $3.74 during the third.
Finally, if you no longer hold a bank account or banking package for newcomers, you will no longer be eligible for savings.
™ National Bank Assistance Network is a trademark of National Bank of Canada, used under licence by authorized third parties.
® Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Inc. Authorized user: National Bank of Canada.
® THE EXCHANGE is a registered trademark of Fiserv Inc.
1 Our banking offer for newcomers is available to immigrants who have been living in Canada for less than 5 years. See the Details and conditions of the offer for the full terms and conditions. The offer may be modified, extended or withdrawn, without prior notice, at any time. The offer may not be combined or used with any other National Bank of Canadaoffer, promotion or benefit. Fees may apply for transactions not included in the banking offer for newcomers. For more information on transaction fees, see our Guide to Personal Banking Solutions [PDF].
2 Telephone assistance service offered by National Bank Assistance Network, valid for 12 months from your account opening date. The content of the packages and terms described are subject to change.
3 Financing subject to credit approval by National Bank of Canada. Certain conditions apply. Eligible credit cards: MC1, Allure, Syncro, Platinum, ECHO Cashback, World and World Elite.
4 Security deposit may be required under certain circumstances.
5 Financing subject to credit approval by National Bank of Canada. Certain conditions apply.
6 National Bank of CanadaABMs or ABMs in THE EXCHANGEMD network.
7 Eligible electronic payments: payments made via ABMs, pre-authorized debits and digital banking solutions (including payments through National Bank of Canada online or the National Bank of Canada mobile app).
8 Shipping fees and taxes not included.
9 The promotional offer is valid from November 1st, 2019 to October 31, 2020.
The offer is intended for Pvtistes.net members who do not have an account at the National Bank of Canada.
To qualify, you must open, online only, a checking account with the Newcomers Package during the promotional period via the Pvtistes.net website.
The offer may be modified, extended, or withdrawn without prior notice at any time.
The offer may not be combined or used with any other National Bank of Canada offer, promotion or benefit and cannot be applied retroactively. There is a limit of one cashback per subscribed product during this promotion. The client cannot benefit from the offer more than once for the same type of product. The offer can only be applied once for each type of product. Only the primary account holder is eligible for the offer. The current secondary account holders who open a new account are not eligible for the offer.
Chequing account offer
To be eligible for the checking account offer you must open a new chequing account with a Newcomers Package and meet the following conditions to receive a $50 cashback.
- Sign up for our Online Banking service and our eStatement service.
- Carry out at least one transaction in your bank account. (Interest charges and banking fees charged to the account are not considered transactions.)
You benefit from 120 days following the chequing account opening to meet the offer conditions in order to obtain the cashback.
The cashback will be deposited in your National Bank of Canada chequing account within 150 days of the opening date of the chequing account opened.
To be granted the cashback, you must respect the offer conditions, maintain the eligible products and services, and not make any changes related to these products and services for a minimum of 12 months after signing up for them. If you do not meet this condition, you will have to repay to the National Bank of Canada an amount corresponding to the period in which you did not maintain your eligible products and services, within 30 days of receiving a request for payment.