The International Co-op (Internship) IEC work permit!

Chapter 1: Introduction

Published: 11-08-2021



The International Co-op (internship) work permit is one of the three International Experience Canada (IEC) work permit categories. It is available to 18-30 or 18-35 year-old citizens from around twenty countries who have a job offer for a work placement or internship. This job offer must be related to your field of studies. Depending on your country of citizenship and the internship offer, you could work in Canada for up to 12, 18 or 24 months.

Note that every foreign intern in Canada must have a work permit (International Co-op or another type of work permit), regardless of whether the internship is paid or not and no matter how long it is. It is illegal to work as an intern in Canada without a work permit.

Already familiar with the work permit? If you’re ready to apply, read the Step-By-Step Guide to International Experience Canada Work Permits — International Co-op, Young Professionals and Working Holiday Applications.

If you’re just discovering the International Co-op (internship) work permit, read on for a complete overview.

When should I apply for my International Co-op (internship) work permit?

The IEC International Co-op work permit runs in a year-long “season.” Each season has an opening and closing date, announced every year—seasons usually start late fall (November or December) and end the following year around the same date.

You can submit your profile (this is the first step of the application process) up to 12 months before the start of your internship in Canada.

Table of contents :


There are no comments at the moment but feel free to add your own 🙂

Recommended articles