Am I eligible for an IEC International Co-op work permit?
You must meet all the following requirements:
- You have to be 18-30 or 18-35 years old (depending on the agreement for your country of citizenship) when you apply. You can submit an application until the day before you turn 31 (or 36).
- You must have a valid passport issued by a country that has signed an IEC agreement with Canada.
- You must be a student registered at a post-secondary institution. Note that citizens of several countries (including Spain and Switzerland) must also prove they are enrolled at a post-secondary institution in their country of residence (i.e. where they live permanently).
- You must have a work placement or internship offer in Canada related to your field of studies.
- You must have at least CAN$2,500 in your bank account when you land in Canada. Note that if you are an unpaid International Co-op (Internship) participant, you may need to show proof of additional financial resources to cover expenses for your
entire stay (see Prepare for arrival – International Experience Canada for more details).
- Once you get your work permit, you must buy an insurance plan covering medical care, hospitalization, and repatriation.
- You must pay the CAN$246 fee.