Landing in France with a WHV — a guide to your first steps

Chapter 1: The resident permit and the social insurance number

Published: 27-01-2018



Join us on Facebook: Working Holiday Visa – !

Are you considering applying for a Working Holiday Visa for France? Are you already planning your arrival? Here is a guide to your first steps after landing.

The “carte de séjour” (residence permit)

WHV holders don’t need to apply for a “carte de séjour,” which is a temporary residence permit. The WHV visa affixed to your passport is used in lieu of a carte de séjour.

The ministère de l’Intérieur (ministry of Home Affairs in France) states that:

“Under the signed bilateral agreement, the long stay [Working Holiday] visa is valid for a maximum of 12 months and is intended for young people. It is only available to citizens of a few countries. Under the bilateral agreement, visa holders are exempt from the residence card requirement throughout the period of the validity of the visa.”

How to get a “numéro de sécurité sociale” (social insurance number)

In France, you need a social insurance number to work and get paid. Your employer uses this number for income-reporting purposes. Each applicant is issued a unique number for life.

To learn more about the topic, read How to apply for a “numéro de sécurité sociale” (social insurance number).

Table of contents :

1 Comment

0 2

Hi! Is there a need to validate my working holiday visa? I tried to do it on the website, but the reasons listed for my visa were not listed as mine is the WHV and the reasons were for students, temp workers, etc.

Recommended articles