Who can apply for a Working Holiday Visa to France?
As of March 2020, France has signed Working Holiday Visa agreements with 15 countries. So far, 14 agreements are currently in effect—the Peru-France agreement has been signed but the program hasn’t started yet.
Passport holders of the following countries are eligible to apply for a WHV to France:
- Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia, South Korea, Taiwan, Uruguay (must be 18-30 years old)
- Argentina, Australia, Canada (must be 18-35 years old)
What’s the first step?
The official visa website for France is France-Visas. It offers info on the different kinds of visa available and required to work and study or simply visit the country.
Go to “Coming to France for…” and choose “Young traveller (working holiday)”.
Note that different names are used for the WHV—the key words should be “working holiday” (“vacances-travail” in French) and it’s in the “long-stay visa” category.
Use the Visa Wizard to get started. Complete the required fields (“Your situation,” “Your stay” and “Your travel document”) and click on “Search.” On the next page, select “Other” under “Your plans” and select “Working Holiday” under “Main purpose of stay”. The Visa Wizard will give you a list of supporting documents required. You can click on “Submit online application” or print the page as a reference if you’re not ready to apply yet.
Where can I find more info?
French consulates around the world can also provide more info (note that those located in Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong don’t have a page dedicated to this visa…).
- WHV to France for Argentinian passport holders
- WHV to France for Brazilian passport holders
- WHV to France for Canadian passport holders
- WHV to France for Chilean passport holders
- WHV to France for Colombian passport holders (note that the 2020 quota has been reached, you must wait until 2021 to apply)
- WHV to France for Japanese passport holders
- WHV to France for Mexican passport holders (note that the 2020 quota has been reached, you must wait until 2021 to apply)
- WHV to France for Russian passport holders
- WHV to France for South Korean passport holders
- WHV to France for Taiwanese passport holders
- WHV to France for Uruguayan passport holders
Where should I apply?
Australian, Canadian and Colombian citizens can submit their application to any French consulate around the world. All other candidates must submit it to the consulate located in their country of citizenship.
What’s the deadline to activate my Working Holiday Visa?
Once the WHV issued, you have up to 3 months to travel to France and activate it.
But, but… I have more questions!
We’re here for you! The pvtistes.net community has been helping travellers planning their WHV adventure for 15 years.