Guide to a Working Holiday in Canada (free illustrated PDF guide)

Chapter 14: Applying for a Social Insurance Number

Published: 02-03-2020



Applying for a Social Insurance Number

Good news, government services in Canada are relatively straightforward and easy to deal with—go ahead, try them, get your Social Insurance Number (SIN) as soon as possible.

A SIN is a unique nine-digit number that identifies Canadian citizens, permanent residents and temporary residents when they apply for benefits and services from government programs. As a temporary resident, you will mostly need a SIN to work since it’s also used for income tax reporting purposes. Employers are required to request your SIN and record the number within three days of your start date.

Your SIN can be issued by any Service Canada office, just bring your passport and your WHP (stapled in your passport). In most cases, you will get your SIN on the spot and you will receive a Confirmation of SIN by mail.

There is no fee to apply for a SIN.

You should protect your SIN and only provide it when legally required. This page lists the people who can ask for your SIN and situations when you don’t have to provide it. For more information about your SIN read Social Insurance Number—Overview.

Your SIN will begin with a “9,” which means it’s valid only until the expiry date indicated on your work permit.

Chapter 14 of 34


5/5 (2)


There are no comments at the moment but feel free to add your own 🙂

Recommended articles