4The “déclaration préalable à l’embauche” or “DPAE” (employer declaration)

The “déclaration préalable à l’embauche” or “DPAE” (employer declaration)

This section applies to all employers who would like to hire a WHV holder in France.

Regardless of the type of work contract offered, the employer must present the URSSAF with a “déclaration préalable à l’embauche” or “DPAE” (formerly a “déclaration unique d’embauche”).

The employer must contact the URSSAF at the earliest eight days before the beginning of the work contract (or the probation period) and at the latest one minute (!) before the beginning of the first work task.

If this is the WHV holder’s first work contract in France, the employer can also register the employee for social security purposes in order for the employee to get a “numéro de sécurité sociale.”

How do I submit a DPAE?

The DPAE can be submitted online or by mail.


The employer can submit the DPAE online:

A receipt will be issued immediately and a printout should be given to the employee for his records.

By mail

The employer can download the Déclaration préalable à l’embauche form, fill it out, print it and send it by registered mail to the relevant URSSAF or caisse de la Mutualité sociale agricole. A receipt will be mailed back to confirm the information recorded. A copy of the receipt must be given to the employee for their records.

DPAE cancellation

If the employee doesn’t start working on the contract effective start date, the employer must cancel the DPAE with the same method used to submit the form.

Filing with the URSSAF, registration for social security purposes of employees

If this is the employee’s first job work contract in France, the employer can register him/her in the social security system. Before proceeding with the DPAE, the employer can obtain the following documents from the employee:

  • A birth certificate: if the document isn’t written in French, it must be translated first by a sworn translator accredited by the Court of Appeal. The document will also have to be legalized or apostilled.
  • A copy of the passport’s ID pages (pages with the picture and personal information) as well as a copy of the visa affixed to the passport.
  • Banking information (a “Relevé d’Identité Bancaire” or “RIB”).

To learn more about the process, read Les règles d’identification et d’immatriculation des assurés par les organismes sociaux.

Note that employers don’t have to register new employees with the social security system. It’s customary in larger companies with an HR department, but many smaller businesses let employees complete the task alone.

Useful links

Previous chapter Next chapter

L'équipe de pvtistes.net vous informe depuis 2005 sur tous les aspects d'un PVT et vous accompagne dans vos projets de mobilité à l'international !

Add to my favorites
1 vote

Please login to be able vote.

(4) Comments

theAge I |

Hi pvtistes,

I’m hoping to clarify the most updated information regarding the need to apply for APT.

I’m Australian and obtained the France WHV last month. I will be arriving in January 2022. I saw above that for Australians who obtained WHV after March 1, 2016 do not need to apply for an APT in order to obtain work. Is this correct?

Having said that, I understand I will still need to obtain a ‘numéro de securité sociale’, correct?

Merci d’avance!


laura1995 I |

I too am in this exact situation and unable to confirm whether or not I need to validate my French working holiday visa? And if not, I still need to get the social security number yes? Sorry I can’t seem to read the replies to this comment which I suspect would answer my questions!

Max I |

anyone get an answer on this?

Max I |

would be good if I could see the replies as to know what people said? Cause I have a job, and now am unclear about what to do as I’m being asked for a “titre de sejour” and an “attestation de validation par l’OFII”. Unsure what to do