The “déclaration préalable à l’embauche” or “DPAE” (employer declaration)
This section applies to all employers who would like to hire a WHV holder in France.
Regardless of the type of work contract offered, the employer must present the URSSAF with a “déclaration préalable à l’embauche” or “DPAE” (formerly a “déclaration unique d’embauche”).
The employer must contact the URSSAF at the earliest eight days before the beginning of the work contract (or the probation period) and at the latest one minute (!) before the beginning of the first work task.
If this is the WHV holder’s first work contract in France, the employer can also register the employee for social security purposes in order for the employee to get a “numéro de sécurité sociale.”
How do I submit a DPAE?
The DPAE can be submitted online or by mail.
The employer can submit the DPAE online:
- On the URSSAF’s website (URSSAF or Net-entreprise.fr) for all non-agricultural workers
- On the website of the caisse de Mutualité sociale agricole for all agricultural workers
A receipt will be issued immediately and a printout should be given to the employee for his records.
The employer can download the Déclaration préalable à l’embauche form, fill it out, print it and send it by registered mail to the relevant URSSAF or caisse de la Mutualité sociale agricole. A receipt will be mailed back to confirm the information recorded. A copy of the receipt must be given to the employee for their records.
If the employee doesn’t start working on the contract effective start date, the employer must cancel the DPAE with the same method used to submit the form.
Filing with the URSSAF, registration for social security purposes of employees
If this is the employee’s first job work contract in France, the employer can register him/her in the social security system. Before proceeding with the DPAE, the employer can obtain the following documents from the employee:
- A birth certificate: if the document isn’t written in French, it must be translated first by a sworn translator accredited by the Court of Appeal. The document will also have to be legalized or apostilled.
- A copy of the passport’s ID pages (pages with the picture and personal information) as well as a copy of the visa affixed to the passport.
- Banking information (a “Relevé d’Identité Bancaire” or “RIB”).
To learn more about the process, read Les règles d’identification et d’immatriculation des assurés par les organismes sociaux.
Note that employers don’t have to register new employees with the social security system. It’s customary in larger companies with an HR department, but many smaller businesses let employees complete the task alone.
- Regarding the hiring process: Procédure d’embauche
- Regarding the DPAE: Effectuer la déclaration préalable à l’embauche
- Regarding the URSSAF registration: La déclaration préalable à l’embauche à l’URSSAF
- Regarding the MSA registration for agricultural workers: La déclaration préalable à l’embauche à la MSA