Apostille certification, legalization and translation of your official documents (France)

Chapter 4: Apostille certification for citizens of Argentina

Published: 31-01-2018



Apostille certification for citizens of Argentina

Applying for a “fiche d’état civil” at the Embassy of Argentina in France

The Embassy of Argentina in Paris can issue a “fiche d’état civil” in French. French authorities accept it as an ID document to apply for your French social insurance number. Check out the website of the Embassy of Argentina in France for more information en français / en español.

To get a “fiche d’état civil,” you’ll need the following documents:

  • An application form (download it here), which should be filled out online, then printed and signed
  • A copy of your DNI or current valid passport
  • A copy of your birth certificate or “libreta de familia” (for the latter, the pages about your parents and your birth)

You can drop off your application in person at the Embassy (Monday to Friday, 9:15 a.m. to 2 p.m.) or mail it. The “fiche d’état civil” costs €40 and you’ll get it a few business days later. Remember, since it’s in French, you don’t need to have it translated to apply for your social insurance number!

Where do I get a copy of my birth certificate and my “libreta de familia”?

It’s best to travel to France with a copy of these documents. Your parents should have a “libreta de familia” if they are married.
If you can’t locate your birth certificate, you can ask your provincial authorities for a copy (sometimes for a fee). Most of the time, you’ll need your DNI. You’ll find a link to relevant services for most provinces below. For provinces not listed, communicate with your local “Registro Civil.”

If you’re already in France, you can ask a friend or relative in Argentina to get a copy from the “Registro Civil” at your place of birth. This document will have to be apostilled by the provincial Colegio d’Escribanos or the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores y Culto in Buenos Aires (Arenales 819). Then, have the document sent to France and have it translated by a sworn translator accredited by the Court of Appeal.

Chapter 4 of 14


There are no comments at the moment but feel free to add your own 🙂

Recommended articles