Finding Accommodation in Canada

Chapter 11: Renter’s insurance (or “tenant’s insurance”)

Published: 23-01-2020



Renter’s insurance (or “tenant’s insurance”)

In Canada, the law does not require a tenant to have renter’s insurance and your landlord cannot force you to get it. However, it’s advisable to purchase coverage. Typically, renter’s insurance can help you replace your belongings after a loss due to theft, fire, or water damage and protects you if someone gets hurt or if someone else’s property is damaged because of your negligence. Shop around, but coverage could be around $20-$30 per month.

Note that the mandatory WHV health insurance you bought before coming to Canada is not renter’s insurance.

Chapter 11 of 12


5/5 (1)


There are no comments at the moment but feel free to add your own 🙂

Recommended articles