A few ideas to make the most of your summer in Vancouver
Go to a festival
Summer is festival season in Vancouver as well!
- The free Khatsahlano Music and Arts Festival is the largest festival of its kind with over 50 bands and artists from Vancouver performing on 12 stages.
- The free (again!) Honda Celebration of Light is the longest-running offshore fireworks competition in the world.
- The Vancouver International Jazz Festival is BC’s largest music festival. Some events are free and the lineup is a treat to jazz lovers.
- The Vancouver Folk Music Festival is a yearly celebration of, you guessed it, folk music.
- Salsa Cruises offers a summer cruise series around False Creek.
- Theatre Under the Stars offers a unique experience at Stanley Park.
- The Burnaby Blues + Roots Festival takes place in Deer Lake Park and offers a world-class lineup.
Go to the top of Grouse Mountain
Take the Grouse Grind challenge at Vancouver’s peak! This three-kilometre trail is dubbed “Mother Nature’s Stairmaster” for a reason, it’s a tough 1.5-hour hike but a rewarding one with spectacular views over the city and there’s plenty of shade along the way, courtesy of the forest. To get started, grab water and a snack and head to 6400 Nancy Greene Way by bus or car.
To save energy, just take the Skyride (every 15 minutes between 7:30 a.m. and 10 p.m. in summer). There’s a special Sunset Rate for $25 after 7 p.m.
Go to the beach
Beach bumming is a legit summer activity in Vancouver. Take your pick—English Bay Beach, Kitsilano Beach (Vancouver’s only saltwater swimming pool), Spanish Banks, Jericho Beach, or Wreck Beach (a clothing-optional beach) … you will soon find the perfect spot for sunbathing, swimming, running, playing volleyball and more.
Explore city parks
Stanley Park, Iona Beach Regional Park, Queen Elizabeth Park, VanDusen Botanical Gardens, Lighthouse Park, Crescent Park, Pacific Spirit Park, Lynn Canyon Park… Vancouver lives up to its reputation for being a green city and it’s easy to find the perfect place to relax or enjoy outdoor activities.