18 ans

Likes reçus
    Could you please let me know how many days in total I would be allowed to leave France if I have a WHV as a Canadian. My WHV will be for France but first I will be going to a program for a little under 90 days in Austria. Following this I want to spend the majority of my time in Europe in France, but also with the opportunity to travel to other Schengen countries during my time and I don't know if I will be limited by this as I will have already spend almost 90 days living in Austria.

My plan is to arrive from Canada into Scotland, hike for a week in the highlands, fly from Scotland to Paris and then train from Paris to Austria for my 3 month course. After the course I then return to France for the duration of my WHV but with the opportunity to do more travelling during my stay.

Thank you so much in anticipation of your help!

Jackson

Likes reçus
    Hi stobbes. This is not immigration advice and I am certainly not a lawyer, but here is what I think you should know, to make an informed decision:
    1) You can spend as much time outside of France as you want, there is no minimum amount of time that you are required to live in France with a WHV.
    2) Outside of France, in the Schengen Area, you are a simple tourist with no special status. Europe states that tourists in Schengen are allowed to spend up to 90 days in a 180 day period (without counting days spent in France on a WHV, because that is a long stay visa).
    3) The France WHV authorizes you to live and work in France only. Everywhere else, you are a tourist.
    4) Once you enter the Schengen Area, there are no border controls or passport/visa checks in travel between Schengen countries.

18 ans

Likes reçus
    Thanks. So if I am reading between the lines here you are saying that if I have a WHV to be in France, while outside of France in Schengen, I am simply a tourist, and tourists are only allowed to stay 90 days in 180 day period. However nobody will be checking my visa as there are not border controls between Schengen countries. So it WILL NOT be noted on my passport that I have already spent 90 days in Austria and then go to another non-France Schengen state. So while there is a rule, there is no way to enforce or keep track of these 90 days... right? I'm assuming here that I should plan to fly back to Canada from France to not cause any confusion.

Jackson

Likes reçus
    Message de stobbes
    Thanks. So if I am reading between the lines here you are saying that if I have a WHV to be in France, while outside of France in Schengen, I am simply a tourist, and tourists are only allowed to stay 90 days in 180 day period. However nobody will be checking my visa as there are not border controls between Schengen countries. So it WILL NOT be noted on my passport that I have already spent 90 days in Austria and then go to another non-France Schengen state. So while there is a rule, there is no way to enforce or keep track of these 90 days... right? I'm assuming here that I should plan to fly back to Canada from France to not cause any confusion.
    Hi again. I don’t know how/if Schengen authorities enforce anything, so I unfortunately I can’t answer that. But as far as I know, it is true that there are no passport stamps when travelling between Schengen countries.
    As for your last question, there is no obligation to have France always be your point of entry and exit, so I don’t think that is necessary.