Likes reçus
    5 196
    One of the requirements of participating in the Working Holiday program is to buy a health insurance plan covering medical care, hospitalization, and repatriation. It must be valid for your entire stay in Canada.

When you arrive in Canada, the border officer may ask for the proof of a valid health insurance good for 12 or 24 months (depending on your citizenship and WHV conditions).

Every year, we get feedback from disappointed WHV holders who were issued a work permit that expired at the same time as their insurance coverage. We’ve heard from members who bought a three-month health insurance policy and who were issued a three-month WHV. If that’s the case, you’re out of luck—the Government of Canada warns that “you will not be able to apply to change the conditions of your work permit at a later date.”

Better safe than sorry, take health insurance seriously before going to Canada.

Feedback of a Working Holiday permit holder in Canada:

“I just wanted to share my experience... Like I said when I posted to this forum discussion, the only document I was asked to show upon landing in Canada was the proof of health insurance. So take note, border officers aren’t as flexible as they used to be.

I bought the Globe WHV insurance package, which is sold through ACS I think. Maybe it’s just bad luck, but I had to get an emergency appendectomy a week ago. No worries, I’m covered, ACS just asked me to send my medical bills and I didn’t have to pay anything out of pocket at Jean Talon Hospital. Don’t skimp on insurance. Paying €350 for a year of coverage (or double for the 24-month policy) can save you big financial headaches.”

If you don’t know yet whether you’ll stay in Canada for the entire duration of your WHV, note that a few insurance companies will refund the remaining months on your policy if you return back home definitely earlier than planned. With Globe WHV travel insurance, you might even be eligible for a refund of the remaining months regardless of your claim history, which is a fairly unique perk.