Likes reçus
    No you're right Bella! You can use since when it's more specific... like for example...
    "I've been learning english since last year. (or since 2006)"

sido 40 ans

Likes reçus
    In fact, I should have had to say : "I've been learning english since last year".

It would say that :
    I've learned english + I'm learning english + I will continue to learn English

Likes reçus
    Right you are Bella ^^

You have to use "since" when you're speaking of a date and "for" when you want to talk about a duration

Molson, young since 1903

And Sido, you can't say "I should have had to say", since the french traduction of that sentence would result in something like: "J'aurais du avoir a dire" or something like that

You should have said: "I should have said: "I've been learning..."", and your correction is now perfect for me, great use of the present continuous (???) tense (Well, I'm not quite sure about the name of the tense, but I'm pretty sure you're using it right, so the rest don't matter that much )

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Muriel

Likes reçus
    9 585
    Message de Toradan
    so the rest don't matter that much
    The rest doesn't matter, no ?

Likes reçus
    The rest doesn't matter, no ?
    Yup, quite right ^^

But I always zap it anyway

very much (guess I need my practise too... Reading books is great for the vocabulary, but not that much for the syntax )

Likes reçus
    Message de Bella
    What I really like, in this holiday season, here, in Canada, is that there is not limit !!
    Yes I agree with you, and I would have liked to be more time here to take advantage of this time... but we went back to France and it was good also to eat fine foods, drink good wine...

I would have loved too to try all the Holiday special beverages there was at Second Cup, Starbucks and elsewhere... Especially the "eggnog", I looked for a translation and I found "lait de chèvre", so I didn't try... but I regret.

I did not think of asking here. Can someone explain me what is "eggnog" ?

Likes reçus
    Egg nog : (I think the french name is « lait de poule » !) made with cream, milk , (jaune d’œuf ??!) and cinnamon … It’s very popular in england. (But during the winter, you have to add some whisky or brandy !)

In my memory, Mme Bovary drunk eggnogs, but i’m not really sure….

Christelle 43 ans

Likes reçus
    Oh damned I hate cinnamon so it's no way I'll try it
    Too bad..

Delphine 43 ans

Likes reçus
    Eggnog (lait de poule) is what you're supposed to let on a table for Santa Claus on the christmas Eve!
    I've never tried it but as Sateen I don't like cinnamon (neither milk by the way!)...
    Dernière modification par Delph ; 09/01/08 à 13:34.

Likes reçus
    Now Christmas is over, let's think at Valentine's day. Forget the Eggnog (by the way, as you said, it's just this kind of ugly thing we can't drink without brandy in it !! ), and let's think about the chocolates and the flowers. The love and romantism !! hihihi, welcome to the red hearts and forget for a little while that wars and conflicts are all around the world, and ........... love, love, love ......

Matthieu

Likes reçus
    I'm not so fond of Valentine's Day... I find it pretty sad, when you need a special day to say "I love you" and give flowers/presents/chocolates. When I have someone, I prefer not to celebrate valentine's day, and instead try to make each day look like it's valentine's day.

Last year was the first year in somehting like seven years where I was single for V-day. So in order *not* to celebrate it, I went out, "all by myseeeeeeeelf". Of course, something unexpected happenned to me, so yeah, my last valentine's day was not the best ever . (I wrote about it there, by the way... I suppose it's okay to refer to it, it's both in english and french )

This year, I won't be single, but I'll be alone . So I'll try to avoid all the "happy couples" everywhere, depressing me because my special one won't be here.

Perhaps I'll stay home, bake myself a chocolate cake, eat it with ice cream and play the Wii ^^.

Likes reçus
    Hello everybody, I tell you about a new subject. I propose Carnival all around the World!

Matthieu

Likes reçus
    Message de Stéph80
    Hello everybody, I tell you about a new subject. I propose Carnival all around the World!
    Keep cool, Bella already proposed a subject for the month, we barely had time to discuss it yet .

Likes reçus
    Also I'm sorry!! That's a surprise but I like that. If you can all choices make, that means that the forum works and that can be fine!
    Thanks Bella//, I've a lot of works this days!
    Dernière modification par Steph80 ; 24/01/08 à 09:44.

Matthieu

Likes reçus
    Message de Stéph80
    Also I'm sorry!! That's a surprise but I like that. If you can all choices make, that means that the forum works and that can be fine!
    Thanks Bella//, I've a lot of works this days!
    Still... you didn't give us *your* opinion about V-day! Come back here!

Likes reçus
    Hey, Fifty, I agree with you on the fact that we don't need :triste:a special day to say "I love you", but you know, when you have some kids (and for me, a lot of kids :aie:!!!), and a very busy husband, you catch all of these commercial and stupids occasions to hire a Nanny for the night and to go outside, eating, dancing or just talking, JUST THE TWO OF US !!!

But you're totaly right.

May be I should go on vacation a little bit, I turn crazy !!

Likes reçus
    Okay, also I answer! Gasp! V Day is for me a commercial day only but that make a break between Christmas Day and Passovers. But I repeat: thats a unuseful day, we don't need a day to say I love you so much and give a lot of flowers to my wife (when i have one)! That's just a romantic!

I like to compare with Halloween in Europe. In America, I know that a big day...

Matthieu

Likes reçus
    why especially this day? Furthermore, pretty much all the good nannies in town will already be busy because of all these couples doing the same thing .

Advice: stay with the kids on V-day, and get yourself the nice getaway one week later

Likes reçus
    Yep, you're right (again).
    But this day, because .............I have no clue !!
    This day because ............ Ho Gosh, you're right !! Let's cancel the nanny and book another day !!

Matthieu

Likes reçus
    The best time of the year to buy roses, for example, is any other day than Feb14th.

For the same amount of money, instead of one bouquet on V-day, you get two or three similiar in size that you can give throughout the year .

Page 3 sur 5 1 2 3 4 5