Sandra 42 ans

Likes reçus
    Cockney = London
    Indeed, I did a degree in English and used to live in London....
    Queen's english sounds posh, american english sounds crap LMAO
    No offence but this is my point of view

Likes reçus
    Thanks for your question arhgg... Why not a subject about Christmas??
    I need your advice babylove!

Christina 38 ans

Likes reçus
    Message de mikasa
    Cockney = London
    Indeed, I did a degree in English and used to live in London....
    Queen's english sounds posh, american english sounds crap LMAO
    No offence but this is my point of view
    That's ok! You're totally right about the Queen's English sounding posh, that's the way I feel about it too!
    But the Aussie accent is quite strange and hard. A couple of weeks ago, I was in a Youth hostel in Amsterdam. I had a talk with a Canadian, an English and an Australian. No big deal to understand the first too but the Aussie girl :aie:

Christina 38 ans

Likes reçus
    Hum... Christmas so! I think that it must be like the dream to have a white Christmas!! (At least mine, because I've never had one!)
    I would make (?) a snowman in my backyard in front of the window and I would put him a Santa Claus hat on!
    Dernière modification par babylove543 ; 07/12/07 à 00:24.

Christina 38 ans

Likes reçus
    Message de Toradan
    heeeeeeeh... Never heard "a such thing" before... Would you happen to have sentences in which both of these formulations are used??? Maybe I could help you from there ^^
    I don't know. It may be my 'little creation' then. French influence I guess.

Likes reçus
    I love british accent too but when it's like this one it's not exactly posh...
    Something funny about the accents is that my Quebecer friend was telling me that in Québec they think french accent (from France) is posh in a negative sort of way... let's say "haughty".
    I was a bit puzzled but I guess it's also what american people think of british one...

And for christmas... Yeahhhh back to France!! I'll stuff myself with tuns of cheese and fine foods!!!

Sébastien 43 ans

Likes reçus
    Oh I heard from English-speaking Québécois (sometimes called "Les Anglais" by Québec people, in remembrance of History) that they really like French accent (from France), they said if was better than the Québécois accent, because we tend to speak more like English people do than like American people do.

Talking about "such a thing" and "such thing", I may suggest using a sentence as an example : "She did such a thing that I did'nt talk to her again", and "Such thing doesn't happen around here". I guess the former means "une telle chose que" and the latter "De telle(s) chose(s)". What do you reckon Mikasa ?

Likes reçus
    In that case it works but I think she was talking about "a such thing" not just "such thing" which is pretty common.
    And by the way, in Vancouver when we say that we're french they think we're quebecer but when we precise "from France" then they really love it...

Sandra 42 ans

Likes reçus
    Cynthia
    This does not sound posh at all indeed. It must belong to the chav style ( hum le style racaille) trying to sound "ghetto"!
    BLAST
    I am familiar with the phrase: there is no such thing.....meaning il n'y a rien de tel que.....
    and such a thing like in the following sentence: she is such a cuttie..( elle est tellement mignonne). I can't think of any accurate translation for this very phrase but your example seems accurate as well !

Enough for today......Good Nite...lol

Likes reçus
    Message de babylove543
    Hum... Christmas so! I think that it must be like the dream to have a white Christmas!! (At least mine, because I've never had one!)
    I would make (?) a snowman in my backyard in front of the window and I would put him a Santa Claus hat on!
    Why not I would just have a nice theme! Snow, winter and christmas is realy a dream for me because it snows fewer and fewer... So if all people speaking about snow thats very fun!

Likes reçus
    Hye everybody! I hope the Christmas subjet feel you fine! You can also speak about very lot of differents subjects and share the ambience of your Christmas about all Canada, United States and maybe all English country if someone wants!

I need just help now about a translation: When do you translate the word OVERWINTER and PUPATE?

Thanks for all and see you again!

Likes reçus
    salut stephane.
    je crois que TO OVERWINTER ça signifie PASSER L'HIVER A ou AU ...
    et pour TO PUPATE je pense que c'est "transformer" en parlant des papillons, lol
    allez bye et bises à tous

Marie 38 ans

Likes reçus
    9 702
    Up
    I just wanted to show you that the name of the subject has just changed...
    Have fun

Likes reçus
    What I really like, in this holiday season, here, in Canada, is that there is not limit !! People are decorating their house, and more than their neigbours !! But at the end, it's just amazing to see all of those colours, everywhere in town, as soon as the night is coming. As the sunset is there (around 5:00 PM), the houses and the gardens are dressing up with differents colors, some lighting deers are standing in the frontyard, Santa Claus in climbing there, Rudolf is standing over there .........

If you go at the zoo, you will be surprised by the quantity of Christmas lights they put on. Sure, you have to pay to go in (hey, hey, we are in Canada !!), but the show is just beautifull !!

This year, for the time beeing, the winter is not that cold, means that we can stay outside, even with the kids, so we can enjoy all this enchanting.

After Halloween and its witches and pumpkins, now, it's Christmas and its lights and Santa.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Likes reçus
    Thanks Jonhattan for your reponse. I think that to pupate would say "être en cocon"!

Hey Bella! Your answer is so amazing! I want to go now to Calgary!! I cannot tell about English Christmas because I nver go to UK or Canada but thats feel good. Thanks and merry Chrismas for all!

Just something: what's Rudolf? Is that the Canada's Père fouètard??? Gassp I don't now...

Likes reçus
    Rudolph the red nose rein deer, has a very shiny nose ..........

Likes reçus
    I was ready to forget ..... tonight, we are going to skate in Airdrie,(a town in the north of Calgary), and we are going to the Festival of Christmas lights !! I'm so excited, cause it's known to be one of the most famous light festival in the Ouestern Canada.

sido 40 ans

Likes reçus
    Hello guys, I saw the signature of our friend Steph80. As I've learned English since one year in the University of Brussels, I think It's a good thing to pratcise my written english, so why not here ?

I introduce myself, My name is Pierre but you can call me Peter or Sido. Evidently, I am a french-speaking but I can manage dutch.

Have no fear to correct my mistakes There will be a lot of...

Thomas 36 ans

Likes reçus
    Message de sido
    Hello guys, I saw the signature of our friend Steph80. As I've learned English since one year in the University of Brussels, I think It's a good thing to pratcise my written english, so why not here ?

I introduce myself, My name is Pierre but you can call me Peter or Sido. Evidently, I am a french-speaking but I can manage dutch.

Have no fear to correct my mistakes There will be a lot of...
    Welcome here Sido (Peter? ) !

I think, since => during ? If you aren't there, I don't understand why it's since

This part of the forum moves more and more each day, it's good
    See ya!

Likes reçus
    Message de TiToTo
    Welcome here Sido (Peter? ) !

I think, since => during ? If you aren't there, I don't understand why it's since

This part of the forum moves more and more each day, it's good
    See ya!
    I'd say : for (rather than since) : As I've learned English for one year. May be I'm wrong, but my ears are feeling better this way

Page 2 sur 5 1 2 3 4 ...